Saturday, December 13, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I know, I know, I've been a bad blogger lately. Two posts in two weeks makes Pam something something ("Go crazy?" "Don't mind if I do!"). But luckily, school is now done for the semester, and I'll have plenty of time to play around in my kitchen.

Earlier in the week, I saw this tortilla soup recipe, and I've been craving it ever since. Of course, did I manage to check out the recipe before I headed to the store to pick up ingredients? Of course not! So, as I stood in the produce section, trying to figure out what should go in the soup, I cobbled together my own make-shift version of the recipe. It turned out better than I expected it to, and because it was so easy to throw together, I'll definitely be making it again soon.


Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 chicken breasts
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
10 oz Ro-tel tomatoes with green chilies
5 cups chicken broth
1 bunch cilanto, 5 sprigs reserved, the rest chopped
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
kosher salt
1 lime, juice and zest
1 cup frozen corn
1 avocado, cut into bite-size pieces
4 radishes, cut into thin slices
8 oz cheddar cheese, crumbled
tortilla chips, crumbled

In a large pot, boil chicken breasts until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from water and let cool; shred with two forks and set aside.

In a large soup pot, heat oil, then add onions and saute until translucent. Add crushed tomatoes, Ro-tel tomatoes, chicken broth, 5 cilantro sprigs, sugar, cayenne pepper, and salt to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered. Remove cilantro sprigs, and add in chopped cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, and corn, and stir to combine.

To serve, add soup to bowl and top with avocado, radish slices, cheese, and tortilla chips. Or set all the toppings out on the table and let everyone serve themselves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use that Simpsons line often - it makes me laugh uncontrollably.

The recipe sounds wonderful, and I love tortilla soup, so I'll have to give it a try now that homework is done for FOREVER.

Glad to read your posts again. A Pamless life is a lackluster life indeed.

Dish This! said...

Pam-- made this recipe last night for dinner and it was AMAZING. Seriously so delicious. Brought leftovers for lunch today- can't wait to tear into it. Thanks!!

Heather said...

this is one of my favorite soups - my husband and i order it all the time. but we've never made it! so weird. yours is lovely, i love that it has the lime on top, and is not super cream based. i hate it when i order it and it comes out all thick, like a chowder. the colors are lovely, here.

Pam said...

Jenny, FOREVER forever?! Congrats!!!

Dish This, I'm so glad you liked it! Yes, I just finished the last of mine yesterday and it was still fantastic.

Heather, you should definitely give this one a try. It's very easy and the leftovers are delicious too!

Dish This! said...

Just made this again-- again delicious!! Thx for recipe.