Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Vospov Kheyma - Cool Meal for Hot Days


Well, it's gotten a little cooler, but the humidity is still at roughly 150%, making it feel brutal out. I was thinking that I hadn't cooked anything Armenian in a while, and between that and the heat, I figured vospov kheyma would be a perfect meal.

"Vospov" means lentils in Armenian, and this dish is traditionally served during Lent to replace regular kheyma, made out of raw meat. But, as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of the stuff, and I tend to turn towards the vegetarian versions. Vospov kheyma is more dense than the stuff I make with tomato sauce and doesn't attempt to taste like the real thing. Instead, with the combo of lentils and bulghur, it has a more earthy flavor, and only a few small pieces can fill you up.

I enjoy eating this when it's hot out because I find they taste best if eaten straight from the fridge, nice and cold. Plus, the scallions and parsley sprinkled over the top just taste so bright and fresh.



Vospov Kheyma
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
2 cups red lentils
3 cups water
1 cup fine bulghur
3 onions, finely chopped
3/4 cup olive oil
salt
cayenne powder

Mix together chopped scallions and parsley and set aside.

Wash lentils. Put water and lentils in a medium pot and boil until lentils have absorbed most of the water and are soft. Add a little more water if lentils are not tender. Remove from heat and add bulghur, mixing well. Let stand for 15 minutes.

Saute onions in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add to lentil mixture. Also add about 2/3 of the scallion/parsley mix and enough salt to taste.

Mold into individual portions by taking as much as will fit in a closed fist and gently compacting it until it stays together. Arrange on a platter, sprinkle with cayenne pepper, and garnish with remaining scallion/parsley mix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a craving for vospov MHD ya and I came upon your recipe. Sounds so easy and of course I know it will be delicious!