Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summery Gin Cocktails

When I woke up on the morning of my birthday party this year, anticipating a wonderful dinner of grilled pizza and make-your-own ice cream sandwiches with friends, I craved a light and summery drink to go along with everything else. I looked at my bottle of Hendrick's gin, which has been sitting quietly on my shelf since last summer (because I rarely drink at home by myself), and started researching.

I found a whole bunch of awesome recipes on the Hendrick's website, but my favorites are below. Between the lot of us, we sailed through at least a bottle and a half of Hendrick's before moving on to some lesser gin. The Floradora is sweet and tangy, and the ginger beer gives it a nice bite. The Basil Gin Smash (above) is herbal and welcoming, and I added a splash of seltzer to give it some bubbles as well.

Floradora
1 1/2 parts Hendricks gin
1/2 part lime juice
1/2 part raspberry syrup*
ginger beer

In a tall glass filled with ice, combine gin, lime juice, and raspberry syrup. Top with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime wheel and a raspberry.

*Raspberry Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 pint raspberries

Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add raspberries and let simmer for a few minutes, crushing the raspberries with the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and allow to steep for a few more minutes. Strain out pulp and seeds before using.

Basil Gin Smash
2 parts Hendricks gin
1 part lemon juice
1 part simple syrup
5-6 basil leaves

In a shaker, combine ingredients and muddle well. Add ice and shake. Strain into a tall glass filled with ice. Top with a basil leaf (I like a splash of seltzer as well).

4 comments:

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

The Floradora sounds fabulous...and fun to say!

Adrienne said...

Oooh, the basil one sounds deeeelicious. And I have an exploding basil plant. Awesome.

Dina said...

Gin is my favorite spirit. Guess I'm going to have to restock the Hendricks for my birthday party after all. :)

Anonymous said...

Just looked at your ice cream sandwich bar pics. TOTALLY asking for that for my birthday