Tuesday, August 9, 2011

S'mores Bars

I was one of those kids who never enjoyed making s'mores. I always managed to burn the marshmallow (although I preferred it un-charred), the graham crackers were too crumbly, and I'd just rather eat the chocolate by itself. But the idea of s'mores was something I did enjoy.

I don't know why I didn't think to make these s'mores bars before now. You get all the great taste of s'mores without all the negative burny, crumbly bits. The fact that they only take a few minutes to make doesn't hurt either.

S'mores Bars
6 Tbsp butter
2 (10 oz) bags of mini marshmallows, divided
5 cups Golden Grahams (or other graham cereal)
4 cups Cocoa Krispies (or other chocolate crisp rice cereal)
1 cup mini chocolate chips, divided

Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter, then add 1.5 bags of marshmallows and stir to melt. Remove from heat and mix in cereals and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. When everything is well-coated with marshmallow, press into the prepared baking dish (spray your hand with cooking spray if the mixture sticks too much).

Preheat broiler. Sprinkle remaining marshmallows across the top of the cereal mixture. Place under the broiler to brown marshmallows; pay close attention so they don't burn! Remove from oven and sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips. Let cool completely before cutting.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

im going to try this! looks so perfect

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I actually loved S'mores...but these look pretty great too!

Anonymous said...

I had mixed feelings about s'mores, I liked them, but i did hate the tendency towards charring. These sound tasty