Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's Soup Season!


So Labor Day came and went here in Boston, and the temperature dropped at least 10 degrees. I tried to brave the chill by sitting outside at Starbucks (the only seats available, and now I know why!) to do my homework. I managed to get some done, but by the time I left, all I could think about was soup.

That's it. Soup Season is here. That can only mean that the next step is apples and pumpkin pie and red leaves on the trees.

This soup is very tasty, and super nutritious... seeing as it's all veggies, I can understand why.

Cauliflower-Carrot Soup

1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4-6 cups water
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 large carrot, cubed
1/3 cup milk or cream
1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, then stir in nutmeg, pepper and salt and cook 30 seconds more. Pour in the water (start with 4 cups, you can always add more) and add the cauliflower and carrot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes, until veggies are tender.

Puree soup in a blender or food processor or with an immersion blender (thanks Liney!). Add milk/cream and additional water to reach desired consistancy.

To serve, garnish with green onion and parsley.

2 comments:

Liney said...

Yay! :) I'm glad it came to use!

Pam said...

This was a good recipe to use it on, too, because I know how much you like cauliflower!