Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Seattle Wrap Up

I've just gotten home from a 10-day trip to Seattle with my college roommate, Liney, and man, did we have a great trip. While we were planning, people kept telling us that 10 day was too long, and that we needed to rent a car to be able to see anything, but lucky for us, we found that neither of those thoughts were true.

We stayed at the Green Tortoise Hostel, which has possibly the best location in Seattle. It is literally right across the street from the Pike Place Market (where we went almost every day), and it provided easy access to Pioneer Square to the south, Seattle Center to the north, and to all the bus lines for transportation outside the downtown area. At first, we felt a little too old for the whole hostel thing, but the great thing was that the Green Tortoise is not a "youth" hostel - it was filled with people of all ages, and there were even a couple of families there as well.

And like I said, we didn't find the city difficult to navigate without a car at all. The buses were easy enough to figure out, and the city really is a small place and is easy to walk... except for all those damn hills. But hey, when you eat as much as we did, trying to sample so many different foods, you kind of need those hills to keep you in check.

We did tons of touristy things, but lots of less touristy things as well. We visited the Seattle Art Museum, the Central Library, took an Underground tour, walked through the International District including the Uwajimaya Market, enjoyed the view from Kerry Park in the Queen Anne neighborhood, took the monorail to the Space Needle, geeked out at the Experience Music Project and the Science Fiction Museum, were confused by Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, enjoyed the aquarium, geeked out again at the Pacific Science Center, picnicked in Volunteer Park where we saw an outdoor art exhibit and explored the Conservatory, walked down to the Japanese Tea Garden, got spooked on the Market Ghost Tour (I got an orb in one of my pictures!), took in an improv show, took the SubSeattle Tour, saw tons of animals at Woodland Park Zoo, wandered around Fremont and saw the Fremont Troll.

And man did we eat. I knew Seattle had lots of good food, but I didn't know there was this much! We ate at Local Color Coffee, Lowell's Seafood, the Chocolate Box, Guamaya Cantina, Pike Place Bakery, Cherry Street Coffee House, Saigon Bistro, Oasis Tea Zone, Hilltop Ale House, Daily Dozen Donuts, Piroshy Piroshky, Revolution Bar and Grill, Black Bottle, Cafe Umbria, Market Grill, Virginia Inn, Mae Phim, Seattle Coffee Works, Palace Kitchen, Mama's Mexican Kitchen, Le Panier, the original Starbucks, Pink Door, Pike Place Brewery, Tully's, Triple Door, Three Girls Bakery, Red Door, Fremont Coffee Company, Seattle's Best Coffee, Matt's in the Market, and Beecher's Cheese. Yeah, a lot of great places, and there will be a few individual reviews coming up. The only place we missed, due to their short hours, was Salumi, but I guess that just means I'll have to take a trip back, right?

18 comments:

Erin said...

Excellent post! I'm actually going to Seattle in October so I'll definitely bookmark this for future trip planning purposes.

Erin said...

PS: You don't have a part 2 coming-up involving an excursion to Bainbridge island do you? Because that would just be too perfect.

(I think I signed into something odd earlier. That was me too...)

Pam said...

Thanks, Erin! Sadly, we didn't get over to Bainbridge. But I will be posting some more detailed restaurant reviews, so keep an eye out for those.

Liney said...

OMG Pam - the list of all your restaurants made me feel like a complete and utter hog. As soon as I shake this cold, I'm going on a bread and water diet ;) (yeah, right!)

Pam said...

I know, looking at it in list format is a little scary. But it was 10 days! And we walked a lot! Plus, you didn't eat at the last two...

Cheryl said...

Oh, I so miss living in Seattle. :( I used to get take-out from Mae Phim all the time when I worked downtown!

So glad you had a great time! Seattle is the best!

Erin said...

As a Seattle resident, I'm pleased to see that you list included plenty of spots that the touristas miss! I can't imagine only having 10 days to taste our wares...Visit again soon!

Robin said...

Hi- I just got back from the lovely North West as well. What a great city. Loved eating our way through Pike Place Market and will do a picture post soon on it. Loved Pirosky, Pirosky!! I want to go back now!! Great post I will keep it for my return trip. Thanks for all the good ideas.

redmenace said...

I love that you love my city! I love it too. Good job on eating such great food and seeing all there is to see!

Angela said...

Seattle is such a great food town. I love it, and I go whenever I have a chance. Nice pics!

Anonymous said...

La Panier is one of the BEST bakeries I have ever been to. Very traditional french pastries, absolutely amazing. I'm from Washington so it's nice to see posts about it. Another awesome place to go is the Essential Baking Co. in the Wallingford district. The food, coffee and pastries are to die for. So glad you had a great time there!

Anonymous said...

I live in Seattle, so glad you enjoyed your visit.


http://themerlinmenu.blogspot.com


Ron

originalamy said...

if you had only three foodie venues to visit which ones would you do? i'm on my way to seattle for a short trip. thanks~

Pam said...

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate your kind words. I had such a great time on this trip.

Originalamy, for the downtown area, my favorites were Black Bottle, Matt's in the Market, and Palace Kitchen. I've already written posts of the first two.

shanna said...

What a fun blog! I came over from Tastespotting, intrigued by the gorgeous cup of coffee, but stayed because of the beautiful photos and fun stories.

Pam said...

Thanks, Shannalee!

kylakae said...

Great job catching a lot of Seattle while you were there. You definitely need to make a trip back to catch the things you missed! Isn't Seattle awesome. I love that you can get around without a car and there is just so much to see and do and particularly to EAT!

Tom Sahar said...

Really good Information thanks for sharing the wonderful Blog, keep doing well and keep updating.....

Car Wraps Seattle