Saturday, March 14, 2009

Meyer Lemon Curd

Ah, the continuing story of my bag of Meyer lemons from San Francisco...

After candying slices of lemon and blood orange, I was still left with a heap of lemons to use. After much internet searching (through Tastespotting and Google), I cobbled together a lemon curd recipe that seemed like an excellent and economical use of my treasure.

I've been intimidated by making curd for a while, but this showed me how simple the process can be. I've had the jar of curd sitting in my fridge for a week or so now, so it's a great thing to make ahead and just keep around for when you feel the need for a taste of sunshine. It would be perfect in a pie (I know, I missed pi day...), but I prefer it spread on some cream biscuits, topped with some of those blood orange slices... In fact, now I want to try this with blood oranges, since I have a bunch around...

Meyer Lemon Curd
3 or 4 Meyer lemons, zested and juiced (you want enough for 3/4 cup of juice)
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into small chunks

In a double boiler or a medium pot, bring some water to a simmer. In the the top of the double boiler or in a stainless steel bowl, combine lemon juice, sugar, and eggs and whisk together. Place over simmering water (making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water) and add butter. Continue whisking for about 5 minutes, or until the curd thickens (it will happen suddenly, and you'll know from feeling the whisk move through the curd that it's done). Make sure the water continues to simmer and not boil, and that you keep whisking, or the eggs will cook too fast.

Once the curd is formed, push it through a fine mesh strainer to get out any bits of cooked egg. Add in lemon zest and mix to incorporate. Store in a sealed jar in the fridge and use at will.

2 comments:

adele said...

Mmm... lemon curd. I try not to make it too often, because I end up eating it out of the jar with a spoon.

Pam said...

Ha, I can see now how that would be a problem...