Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Girl Scout Cookie Time!

OK, I'll admit it - I'm a Girl Scout. Like, still a Girl Scout. My lifetime membership card is kicking around somewhere in my desk, amid a pile of pens that may or may not actually work.

So every year when Girl Scout cookie time rolls around, I can't help but feel that pull of nostalgia, bringing back memories of wandering around my neighborhood with my sash tied over my huge winter coat, taking orders from the neighbors who I only saw at cookie time and Halloween. Nowadays, I never seem to have my act together enough to actually pre-order cookies, but it's pretty hard not to find a table set up somewhere (the last one I saw was inside the Harvard Square T station) with girls selling boxes of cookies.

But man, have Girl Scout cookies come a long way since I was a kid. This coming Thursday (3/12), the Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts will be hosting the 4th Annual "Evening of Cookie Creations" at the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square. The event will feature seven local chefs and their creations (all of which feature Girl Scout cookies as an ingredient), and winning creations will be picked by a panel of judges and by the crowd. It sounds like a great time, and I'm excited to see what they chefs come up with.

Tickets are $30 (or two for $50) and more information is available here. See you Thursday!

5 comments:

Susan said...

I love Girl Scout cookies! I went pretty far in the Girl Scouts myself.

Pam said...

What's your favorite type of cookie? I'm a Peanut Butter Patties girl myself...

car said...

I can't get any girl scout cookies because they won't let them sell online!

Nancy Little said...

I grew up as a Blue Bird, the Brownie version of Camp Fire Girls. Our Aunt Ruth designed the Camp Fire logo back in the late '20s so it was required that we were part of Camp Fire. However, when I moved to Western MA in 1998, I took a summer job at a Girl Scout Day camp in S. Hadley and became a Girl Scout. I've always loved the Thin Mint cookies and was disappointed when at Girl Scout Sunday at church last week there were none.

Pam said...

"Required" - I love it, Nancy!