Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Puff Pastry Enigma

Why does puff pastry always come two to a package? It's either impossible to defrost one sheet without the other or, if you can manage to pull them apart, the unused sheet just ends up with freezer burn. Is it a ploy by the manufacturers to get you to buy more? Or is the assumption that you're only pulling out the puff pastry for company ("someone better than us" as my brother defines it), and thus will need two sheets?

What if you just have a puff pastry craving yourself with no company in sight? What else is there to do but to cook with them both?



Puff Pastry #1 - Spinach and Feta with olive oil and oregano



Puff Pastry #2 - Apples, Honey and Cinnamon


Overall, pretty tasty. OK, there was a slight mishap with burning honey - I swear I'll attempt to clean that pan soon. But other than that, it was a super easy (and delicious) dinner.

8 comments:

Sarah C. said...

Still isnt it better to have the freezer burned second sheet than not have access to frozen puff pastry at all?

Pam said...

Not with the way my freezer likes to dole out the burn...

Liney said...

So I saw a commercial for a new kind of Doritos... it's hot wings and blue cheese. I sense an upcoming post.

jef said...

It looks like you didn't have too much of a problem figuring out what to do with the second sheet so maybe there wasn't a problem? Ever try making puff yourself? There's a quick version that's about as easy to make as pie dough and almost as quick...

As for that pan, fill it with water and boil the bejezus out of it, the burnt goodies should go away without much trouble.

Pam said...

Liney - Ew, have you met me? Hot wings and blue cheese are two of my least favorite foods!

Jef - I do really want to make my own, but it's not high on my list of priorities right now. I used Trader Joe's artisinal dough, which comes flat, as opposed to Pepperidge Farms or whatever's in the supermarket, so it was easier to use. And yes, I used them both, but I really shouldn't have eaten them both.

And the pan... low sides, so I'm going to try chipping before boiling, but thanks for the tip!

Sarah said...

i'm sitting in a meeting with my stomach growling....this looks SOOOO good!!

Unknown said...

I recently made an apple tart post an apple picking trip. The recipe called for baking the apples then taking warmed honey with some vanilla extract and glazing the apples post baking. I warmed the honey in a mug in the microwave before glazing the apples. Very tasty and might save your pans. :)

Pam said...

That sounds really tasty, Lisa. Maybe I should try using recipes more often...