Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday I'm in Love... with Little Lad's Herbal Popcorn

I first stumbled across this stuff a few years ago in a slow wander through Whole Foods. I was intrigued - unlike almost all the packages around it, it only had a small label. The clear bag let you really see what was inside (a novelty for junk food), and it certainly didn't look like any popcorn I had seen before.

Little Lad's is apparently a restaurant in New York City and Maine (2 locations there) (The Phoenix has an interesting article that talks about the restaurants). And they're famous for their popcorn. Luckily, I don't have to make a trip up to Maine when I get a craving (and yes, I crave this popcorn like it's my job). (My, there were a lot of asides in this little paragraph.)

What makes this popcorn so amazing? It's not like anything else out there - it's tossed in a mixture of nutritional yeast and dried dill. Deliciously savory... and did I mention addictive? It sounds weird, and the name certainly doesn't help. The only problem is that you invariably end up with little flecks of dill under your nails - those can be a bitch to get out. It's messier than most popcorn too, so you may want to eat it was a Dustbuster nearby.

I used to find this at a bunch of different Whole Foods, but lately I've only seen it at my local Woburn shop. If your Whole Foods doesn't have it, ask if they can get a box. If you can't find Little Lad's, you can try making your own at home.

4 comments:

We Are Not Martha said...

This looks sooo good! And it's a great photograph too :)

Sues

adele said...

I think you've mentioned this stuff before - I'll have to see if the Whole Foods near me does have it.

Pam said...

Thanks, Sues!

Adele, I mentioned it on Twitter ages ago, proof that this stuff just drives me crazy.

Unknown said...

Yes! This stuff is deliciously addictive. And the best part is that when you polish off all the popcorn, all the salty/herby goodness is left in the bottom...waiting for you to pop some fresh popcorn in there and give it a toss!