Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Don't Understand... Kowloon


First off, a big thank you to Kristen at Basegirl for hosting Doug Mirabelli Appreciation Night last Saturday at Kowloon in Saugus. It was a very surreal night, mostly because there was a cut-out of Dougie's head on a stick that managed to make its way around the whole table... and onto the dance floor. To put it simply, it was a blast.

Since this blog is about food, though, I feel the need to comment on the food at Kowloon. Quite frankly, I don't get it. The food is pretty horrible, and yet the 1200-seat place is always packed. It took roughly 3 minutes for our food to arrive after we ordered, and it tasted... generic. It can't be that their prices are good, because they're just as, if not more, pricy as most Chinese places around. Is it the kitsch factor? 'Cause I'm all for kitsch, but even this place is a little too much for me. I mean, as a setting for Mirabelli Night, it was perfect, but for dinner with friends or family on a Saturday night?

Please, someone explain it to me.

And yes, that's Dougie's head on a stick in that picture, wearing a lei and enjoying a plate of chicken fingers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you order a drink that comes in a coconut monkey head that you can take home with you?

Did you order something on fire?

Did you make sure to order something completely ridiculous sounding?

Did you see an Elvis impersonator?

Did anyone sitting near you look like they might have stepped out of 1992?

Because if you didn't have those factors there, I can see where it wouldn't make much sense. I don't go because the food is amazing - I go because the food is passable and the sights around me are amazing. Pam. A PIRATE ship. IN the restaurant. Seriously.

BTW this semester is much much much much much much busier than anticipated. As soon as I can extract nose from book we'll have a date at Eastern Standard.

Pam said...

There was fire, there was an 80s cover band (but they refused to play Journey), everyone looked like they were still listening to the New Kids on their car tapedecks, we sat IN the pirate ship, and there were small people and a really fat guy dancing with our Dougie cut-out. Still didn't make up for the food, in my opinion.

How does mid-May sound?