Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Mystery of the Chip

I don't know about you, but when I'm issued a challenge, especially by a international corporation, I'm going to take it.


Get it. Taste it. Name it. Doritos X-13D are a new, mysterious snack that have found their way onto the market. The creepy black packaging, complete with instructions and clues, lead to the intrigue. The company asks that you give their new flavor a name, only giving you the clue that the taste is an "all-American classic."


I went the licking route... getting the full impact of the flavor powder without the distracting corn-chip background. I was immediately struck by the flavor of meat, although I kept saying "It's shish kebab!" After a short discussion, we decided on cheeseburger... a look at the ingredients included beef flavoring, cheese powder, and tomato flavoring (I don't have the bag anymore, but it might list pickle flavor as well). To go even further, one friend tasted a chip and said "Burger King Whopper!" I'm not sure if Doritos is trying to be that specific or if that's just the flavor that caught her, but her specificity made me laugh.

All in all, I wouldn't eat these chips again. If I want beef flavor, I'm going to eat a real burger...

2 comments:

Liney said...

Oh my god that's hilarious. I saw the picture before I scrolled down and I was like "what the heck?!" I haven't been down the chip aisle in a long time, but a pat on the back to the advertisers, I kinda want to get a bag despite being warned that they taste like hamburgers. Ew...

Pam said...

It was kind of like eating a prop from the X-Files.