Saturday, June 23, 2007


A few days ago, I was browsing Tastespotting and saw the most amazing picture: a crepe cake made by Ivonne at Cream Puffs in Venice. I found myself coming back to that picture, wanting to take a bite out of my computer screen, and I knew I had to make one.

Lucky for me, my roommate gets out of work early on Fridays, and he used the afternoon to do all the hard work for me... making the crepes and the pastry cream. He used a different crepe recipe, since we hadn't made the batter the night before. With our electric crepe maker, he made about 30 crepes that were all ready when I got home.

The cake was incredibly easy to assemble. I decided to use the filling to "ice" the whole cake... our friends didn't know what we were making, and we wanted it to be a surprise when we cut the first slice.



The cake turned out to be very delicate. I spread the layers very thin in order to have enought to cover all the crepes. The presentation was fantastic, and this would prove to be a perfect dessert for a dinner party, since you could make it earlier in the day. This cake looks much more difficult to make than it actually is, and it's incredibly elegant.

No comments: