Friday, June 6, 2008

Surplus Bagel Chips


I enjoy bagels, but only when they're fresh. If they start getting old, or if they've been frozen, the texture loses a lot of integrity, leaving me with no desire to eat them. So when there's a whole dozen on hand, past the point when I'll eat them by themselves, I feel the need to get a little creative.

Making bagel chips is the prime way to use the leftover bagels, transforming them into a snack that I will eat. Plain or savory bagels are great to serve with a fresh dip, like this delicious hummus-like Rosemary-Lemon White Bean dip from Mark Bittman. My favorite bagel, rosemary olive oil, is an especially good pair for this dip. Sweeter bagels, like cinnamon raisin, are great with a little peanut butter. (For sweeter bagels, use melted butter instead of olive oil, and hold the salt). Either way, bagel chips are easy to make and even easier to eat.

Bagel Chips
bagels, as many as you have on hand
olive oil
kosher or sea salt

Preheat oven to 300°. Slice bagels into 1/8-inch pieces, making sure they a consistant thickness. Brush one side of each slice and lay on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until chips are brown and no longer soft to the touch. Cool on a wire cooling rack before serving.

8 comments:

The Boston Foodie said...

My God that picture is mouth-watering! It looks delicious. Then again, ALL your photos are great. I can't wait to try this idea with my new favorite olive oil.

wheresmymind said...

If you have plain bagels, I bet you could season either salt or butter with some garlic powder or some type o' rub?

Pam said...

Thanks, William! What is your new favorite olive oil?

Absolutely, Jef, they could be flavored with whatever you feel like. I didn't want to go too crazy, though, so they would work with that dip. I'll probably play around with spices next time if I don't have a dip to go with them.

Liney said...

It's been too long, Pam! It took my forever to catch up!car

Pam said...

Who's fault is that, Caroline ;)

Anonymous said...

I am drowning in work and finance (who the hell makes communication majors take finance?!) over here. I will emerge triumphant and there will be champagne.

In the meantime, I bought white beans the other day intending to find a recipe, and then you posted this two days later. ooooooh weeeeeeird. I will make it this weekend, but based on your rave reviews - and that incredible picture - I've already passed the recipe all around the office.

Speaking of a few of those things, you should talk to Becky about teaching a food photography class.

Pam said...

I can read your mind, Jenny :)

And I have no idea how to take photos, I just do it. I doubt that would a terribly helpful class for anyone ;)

Anonymous said...

No way. My mind moves too fast to be read.

So I made the dip yesterday, but didn't have fresh rosemary so I used a rosemary infused olive oil - oh wow. I used just a bit too much garlic (for cowards) because it's very garlicky and spicy. And delicious on an english muffin under scrambled eggs and parmesan. Love it.