Saturday, April 5, 2008

Croissants with no effort


Last week, I was talking to my friend Z, and she was asking where to find a good croissant in the area. I didn't know what to tell her. I mean, I've heard good things about Clear Flour (I usually just get their Venetian olive rolls at the farmers' market) and Canto 6, but I didn't have any solid recommendations.

Until now. And they're in my freezer.


Trader Joe's has recently started selling frozen croissants - 8 mini or 4 chocolate per box. Just lay the frozen croissants on a baking tray and let them proof, or rise, overnight (7-9 hours). Then, just brush with egg (optional) and bake for a few short minutes, and voila, hot and fresh croissants!

With almost no effort, I felt like a whiz in the kitchen. The interior was light and airy, and the exterior had a nice crunch to it. They were even good the next day after having sat on the counter for way too long. The hardest part was remembering to take them out the night before.

All I know is that I am now going to keep a box in my freezer all the time. I mean, you'll never know when you'll need a hot, fresh croissant.

6 comments:

Susie said...

Sooo good to know! I would have never thought frozen croissants would be THAT good. And since I pretty much live at TJ's, I'm definitely trying these :)

Sarah C. said...

Hey, thanks for posting about these. I love finding new things at Trader Joes and these are probably cheaper than the Williams Sonoma version they ship to your house. I am anxious to try them!

Pam said...

Let me know what you think when you've tried them! They're most definitely cheaper than Williams Sonoma.

I hope your TJs has them, Sarah, they just appeared here. Susie, I got mine in Coolidge, so you'll definitely find them... unless everyone's been buying them ;)

Lisa Johnson said...

I'm getting ready to make a run to Trader Joe's and stock up. Thanks for letting me know about these!

Anonymous said...

Hey! That sounds familiar :) I'll definitely have to try those out... they look yummy.

Pam said...

I hope you like them, Anali!!

You're famous now, Z!