Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bella Luna, Jamaica Plain


When I go out to eat, I don't usually think of going to the bowling alley. But I was meeting my friend Michael for lunch, and he suggested Bella Luna, part of Milky Way Lounge & Lanes in Jamaica Plain, so I was more than happy to give it a try.

For the sake of trying a bunch of different things, we shared a couple of appetizers and a pizza. First, we had the curry fries and the crab cake. The fries, served with a curried mayo, were tasty, but nothing spectacular. The crab cake, though, was fantastic - crispy exterior, moist interior, and plenty of crab. There was very little filler, so it was a rather loose cake (it would have been tasty in a sandwich, but would have fallen apart in seconds). It was served on top of cole slaw and red pepper aioli, all of which went deliciously together.



For our pizza, we ordered the Latin Quarter - chicken, avocado, bacon, cheddar and jalapeno peppers. This was probably the most unique choice on the pizza menu, although you can design your own with any of their ingredients. The chicken was a little dry, but over all, this was an awesome pizza. The flavors were all bold, but not overpowering, and complemented each other nicely. And any time there's bacon on pizza, I'm happy.

Over all, this is much better food than I would have expected at a bowling alley (granted, they are in a separate space, but I couldn't get the bowling aspect out of my head). I can understand why so many people make a night out of the Milky Way.

Bella Luna in Jamaica Plain

3 comments:

BFW (Tammy) said...

Your pictures came out great. I always struggle with how to take pics in restaurants. Lunch is a little easier than dinner. What do you do? Do you use a flash? Try to do it quickly when no one is looking... or do you just go for it?

Pam said...

Thanks, Tammy! These pictures turned out so well because we were next to the window on a nice, bright day - some of the few pictures I've taken with natural sunlight.

I have no problem taking pictures in a restaurant. If it bothers someone, I'm sure I'll hear about it. My friends find it amusing and have learned, for the most part, not to dig in until my pictures are done. I try first without a flash, but if a restaurant is too dark, I usually take one with flash just to have as backup.

Also, the macro setting on my camera is the best thing ever.

BFW (Tammy) said...

Thanks for the tips! I guess I need to get more brave... :)