Saturday, December 1, 2007

Butternut Squash Couscous


It was post-Thanksgiving week, and there were no leftovers in sight, one of the downfalls to going to someone else's house for a holiday. So for lunchs this past week, I set out to create something with a "holiday leftover" feel (without it going bad by the end of the week, of course).

I couldn't be happier with how this dish turned out. I was so busy at work this week, I ended up eating every lunch at my desk every day, and it was great to have this waiting in the fridge. Thank goodness I have my "I heart Jim" mug to look at.


Butternut Squash Couscous

1 lb butternut squash, diced
10-15 pearl onions, halved
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup whole wheat couscous
3 sprigs thyme
sea salt

Toss squash and onions in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Roast in oven at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes or until squash is tender.

While squash is roasting, heat water and 1 tsp olive oil until boiling. Add couscous and remove from heat. Stir to make sure all the grains are coated, then cover and let stand 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Combine squash and onions with couscous in a bowl. Add the leaves from thyme sprigs, plus a large pinch of salt, and mix to incorporate. Add a splash of olive oil if the mixture is too dry. Keeps well all week.

2 comments:

Susie said...

Yum! This looks good...I made butternut squash risotto a couple weeks ago and it was amazingg.

LOVE that mug :)

Pam said...

Mmmm, butternut risotto sounds really good.

I have the full I heart Jim collection - my coworker bought them for me from the $1 bin at Target!