Sunday, November 18, 2007

Making Guacamole a Year-Round Treat


Guacamole. It's probably my favorite dip to accompany chips. But it always seems so summery to me. With a simple ingredient swap, though, it becomes a fantastic holiday appetizer. It's November - tomatoes are out, pomegranates are in!

Pomegranate Guacamole
4 ripe avocados
1 lime
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
handful of pomegranate seeds (1/4-1/3 of one fruit)

Cut, pit and mash the avocados. Add the juice from the lime to the avocado to prevent browning. Stir in onion and pomegranate. being careful not to puncture any of the seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

And can I just add some more Trader Joe's love on here? The TJ's Organic White Corn Tortilla Chips are the best packaged tortilla chips I've ever had. They're perfectly crisp, with plenty of salt. They're even good on their own, once you've run out of guacamole...

7 comments:

Vicki said...

Ay, guacamole and chips, it's like hot dogs and buns - you run out of one, buy more, then run out of the other, buy more, ad infinitum, ad nauseum (but who could get sick of avocados?).

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. I ususally make Ina Garten Guacamole, but I'm going to try this because I love pomegranate as well!!

marias23 said...

Gosh, this looks so good. I will definitely try this recipe! Thanks for sharing your creatively seasonal recipe and I love love love TJ too!

Pam said...

Ha, it is just like hot dogs and buns... only with these chips, I don't feel the need to make more dip, I just eat them by themselves.

I'm always amazed at how many different recipes there are for such a simple dish. What does Ina put in hers?

Maria, if you've read any of my other posts, you'll notice a theme of TJ love... I should buy stock in the store.

pleasurepalate said...

Your recipe is definitely an interesting twist on guacamole. :)

Liney said...

I love guac and I love pomegranates, but I'm puzzled by the combo... I'll have to try it!

Liney said...

OMG Pam, you've had this blog for-ever!